History of Lewes Operatic
The history of Lewes is one of the most talked about history in the world. There is archaeological evidence that there were prehistoric dwellers in Lewes. There was the Roman settlement of Mutuantonis because there are many of their artefacts in this town. The Saxons have Constructed the castle here which is said to be a defensive point over the river. Soon after the Norman invasion, the coast of the Surrey boundary was occupied by William the Conqueror who built the Lewes castle. The Priory of St Pancras was made by him and his wife Gundred in 1081 which is a monastic house. There was a mint during the Norman invasion. The town was taken and granted to King Stephen in 1148.
Lewes was the place for the Battle of Lewes in 1264 between Henry III and Simon de Montfort. The battle took place at Landport, and Simon de Montfort won the fight. Between 1555-1557 there were Marian Persecutions where the Protestants were burnt, and a martyr is built over there. This is the place of the Townhall now.
The Martyrs memorial was opened in Cliffe Hill in the year 1901. Lewes developed in the 17th and 18th century and houses many iron, brewing and shipbuilding industries. In 1846, Lewes turned into a railway junction with lines connecting two railway stations. The Newhaven development made the Lewes into a significant port. The Crimean War happened, and about 300 Finns were captured and jailed at Bomarsund by the Russian army. In the year 1881, Lewes became a borough. The Easter Rising of 1916 had many prisoners homed in Lewes prison. Some of them were Thomas Ashe, Frank Lawless, Harry Boland, Eamon de Valera and George Witton. There were prisoners from the Boer War in the Lewes prison.